Is the flight delayed?
For a flight delay over the scheduled departure time:
- for two hours for flights of 1500 kilometers or less, or
- for three hours or more for all intra-Community flights of more than 1 500 kilometers and of all other flights between 1 500 and 3 500 kilometers, or
- for four hours or more in the case of all flights not falling under the first two categories
Passengers are entitled to compensations, assistance and service.
What are the compensations?
- The value of these compensations is:
- € 250 for all flights of 1500 kilometers or less;
- € 400 for all flights between 1 500 and 3 500 kilometers;
- € 600 for all flights not falling in the first two categories.
In determining the distance it is taken into account the last destination where the passenger is due to arrive later than the scheduled time, because of the boarding refusal or flight cancellation.
- When passengers are offered redirecting to their final destination on an alternative flight, the arrival time of which does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of the flight originally booked
- Two hours for all flights of 1500 kilometers or less, or
- Three hours for all flights between 1 500 and 3 500 kilometers, or
- four hours for all flights not falling within the first 2 points,
the air operator may reduce by 50% the compensation set out in paragraph (1).
- The compensation referred to in paragraph (1) is paid in cash, by electronic bank transfer, money order or bank checks or, with the written agreement of the passenger, in travel vouchers and / or other services
- The distances given in paragraphs (1) and (2) are measured by great circle route method.
If the air operator pays compensation or meets the other obligations according to Regulation, none of the provisions thereof can be interpreted as a restriction of its right to request compensation from any person, including third parties in accordance with the applicable law. In particular, the provisions of the Regulation does not limit in any way the air operator's right to request a refund from a tour operator or another person with whom the air operator has a contract. Similarly, any provisions of Regulation cannot be interpreted as restricting the right of a tour operator or of a third party, other than a passenger, with which the air carrier has a contract, to request a refund or repairs air operator, in accordance with the law applicable.
Any person who considers that one of his rights was infringed, provided by the Regulation, can notify the competent bodies established by the current legislation.
What is the assistance?
Passengers are offered a choice between:
- reimbursement within seven days of the full cost of the ticket at purchase price for the part or parts of the journey that was not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is useless in relation to original travel plan of the passenger, together with, where relevant, a return flight to the first point of departure, as soon as possible;
- redirection, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination as soon as possible or
- redirection, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.
What is the right for service maintenance?
Passengers will be offered free of charge:
- meals and refreshments in relation to the waiting time;
- hotel accommodation in cases, if it is necessary to stay for one or more nights, or where it is necessary an additional stay to that intended by the passenger;
- transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).
In addition, passengers are entitled to two free phone calls and send free of charge messages via telex, fax or e-mail.
In applying the above provisions, the air carrier pays special attention to the needs of persons with reduced mobility and to any accompanying persons or certified accompanying service dogs, as well as to the needs of unaccompanied children.
Upgrading and downgrading
If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class higher than the purchase price of the ticket, it may not request any supplementary payment.
If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than the purchase price of the ticket, then it will refund within a period of seven days:
a) 30% of the ticket for all flights of 1500 kilometers or less, or
b) 50% of the ticket for all flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometers, or
c) 75% of the ticket for all flights not falling under points a) or b).
Obligation to inform passengers about their rights
- The air carrier will ensure that in the area of travelers registration a readable advertisement is displayed, consisting of the following clearly visible printed text: "If you are denied boarding or if your flight is canceled or delayed at least for two hours, ask at the check-in desk or at the boarding gate the text stating your rights, particularly with regard to compensation and assistance ".
- The air carrier denying boarding or cancelling a flight shall provide each affected passenger written notice setting out the rules for compensation and assistance in accordance with the regulations. He also provides each passenger affected by a delay of at least two hours an equivalent notice. The passenger will be also submitted, in written form, details of the national institution designated for resolving violations.
- Regarding blind people and people with low vision the provisions of the mentioned above Article will be applied using appropriate alternative means.
The control body with consumer protection functions in air transport and related activities is the Civil Aviation Authority.